White Rabbit -> Users of White Rabbit Technology
Arkus, Japan (Japanese only)
- Fixed latency trigger distribution system (April 2014, F.de Guzman)
Baikal Deep Underwater Neutrino Telescope -
- Runs since March 2018 on WR at 1000 m water depth in lake Baikal/Siberia. It uses the same SPEC-TDC that DESY developed for HiSCORE/Siberia. (Oct.2018)
UC Berkeley, UC San
- PANOSETI, SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) project (November 2018)
- A telescope which will be looking for nanosecond-level coincidence between optical events in a system of several hundred nodes; will use White Rabbit technology to distribute precision timing signals throughout the network.
- Panoramic optical and near-infrared SETI instrument: overall speciﬁcations and science program
- Seismic measurements (M.Guinchard, Nov-Dec.2015)
- As it was plan in the best schedule, the first set of vibration measurements was performed this afternoon during core drilling operation at point 1. We took measurements for several depths 10,20,30,40,50 and 60m. Seismic sensors connected to spectrum analyzer in UJ16 were perfectly synchronized with the same equipment at the surface. (12 Nov. 2015)
- Seismic measurements (M.Guinchard, Nov-Dec.2015)
- General Machine Timing system upgrade in the Antiproton Decelerator and the ELENA ring (Jean-Claude Bau, January 2013)
- Beam Instrumentation
- Time-stamp events based on a reference clock that will be received by WR. (BE-BI, April 2017)
- BTrain upgrade: a system to distribute the value of the bending
magnetic field in synchrotrons in real-time
- Reference WR-BTrain Node designs on CERN gitlab and information about the upgrade on CERN CO wikis (CERN access only)
- Magnetic field measurement and distribution of the data in
real-time (M. Buzio,
- Successful validation of B-field distribution via White Rabbit (March 2014)
- Electrical Power Converter system (J-L. Gomez Costa,
June 2013. Tested succesfully May 2014)
- POPS: Power converter for PS Ring Main Dipole
- Receive the measurement Bfield from Btrain: POPS Converter receives a Field Reference and it will use the measured Bfield as a correction on the Converter regulation loop.
- Send PS Ring Main Dipole current (Im) to Btrain and PFW devices: We take advantage of the White-Rabbit infrastructure to distribute this signal so no extra cabling is needed. This transmission is done @ 1KHz.
- PFW: Phase Loop Windings Converters for PS Ring Main
- Receive the measurement Bdot from Btrain and PS Ring Main Dipole Current (Im) from POPS:PFW Converters uses those signals to compensate for the effect of the Main Dipole current on the PFW windings.
- POPS: Power converter for PS Ring Main Dipole
- Radio-Frequency Group, Feedbacks and beam control (M.Sundal,
- Module in the PS that will receive information about the B-train over White Rabbit and calculate the RF frequency. Part of the upgrade of the RF program in the PS. Prototyping with SPEC and WR Starting Kit. Final system will use the SVEC.
- Radio-Frequency Group, Servos and Control interface
- WR used for B-train reception to work on VXS Switch board.. To be used in ELENA by end 2015.
- Beam Instrumentation group (P.Odier 10/2015)
- Normalising Beta of the DCCT transformers
LHC Instabilities Trigger
- Instability diagnostics, T. Levens et al.
- ProtoDUNE - CERN Prototype of
- WA105 subdetector
- Global uTCA DAQ architecture integrated with White Rabbit Time and Trigger distribution network + White Rabbit slaves nodes in uTCA crates
- Opportunities with ProtoDUNE-DP (search for Rabbit or WR)
- Images of system in 2017 of WA105 subdetector
- “The CERN Beam Instrumentation group, together with physicists from the protoDUNE collaboration, is investigating a sub nanosecond time-of-flight system based on scintillating fibres read-out with fast PMT. The SVEC FMC-TDC has been chosen as it has the required timing performance and it integrates White Rabbit, which is required to timestamp the events in a common time reference shared by the beam instrumentation and the protoDUNE detectors.” (Feb 2017, I.Ortega)
- WA105 subdetector
- SM-18: Magnetic field measurement and distribution of the data in real-time (M. Charrondiere, TE-MSC, April 2016)
- SPS RF distribution over White Rabbit on CERN CO wikis (CERN access only)
China Spallation Neutron Source Institute of High Energy Physics Chinese Academy of Sciences - CSNS, Beijing, China (Oct 2012, April 2017)
- Timing system of the spectrometer. Target and instrument control
- Experimental control of the neutron spectrometer during the construction of the project.
- The time synchronization of CSNS neutron instrument, Real Time Conference (RT), 2016 IEEE-NPSS, J.Zhuang et al.
CHIRON-IT, The Netherlands
CNGS Timing for neutrino measurements (2012-2014), Italy
- We are running now 9 SPECs for our gamma-ray array prototype. (November 2013)
- Performance results of the first White Rabbit installation for CNGS time transfer (pdf)
- CERN to Gran Sasso Time Transfer
CTA - Cherenkov Telescope Array, 32 countries
- Array Time Synchronization - First Tests with WhiteRabbit (14 May 2012)
- The White Rabbit Project Technical introduction and status report presented at CTA Madrid 2011 (2011)
- The ASTRI Mini-Array Software System (G.Tosti et al, 2013)
TiCkS: a flexible White-Rabbit based time-stamping
C. Champion et al, CTA Consortium, ICALEPCS 2017
Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (G. Naylor, S.Hall, B.Huang, Jan.2013-Apr.2015), UK
- Real-Time Protection System that will prevent the MAST-U machine’s magnetic coils from damage. The White Rabbit collects the signals read from the coils and measure the level of electrical current passing through them during a plasma pulse. If the current gets too high, the Real-Time Protection System automatically kicks in – gradually winding down the power supplies so the pulse can be stopped without harming the machine.
- This particular version of the switch has been adapted from one used for data synchronization at CERN, so MAST-U is getting a device with tried-and-tested performance in a ‘big science’ setting. Uses Xilinx Aurora streaming (no packets) at 1.25Gbps, latency 0.5us.
- Piece by piece: Real-Time Protection System, MASTwire magazine, Page 2
HiSCORE-EA Gamma-Ray and Cosmic-Ray
the Tunka-133 Cherenkov EAS-Array (2012/13). (R. Wischnewski,
- Array Time Synchronization - First Tests with WhiteRabbit
- First Results from the HiSCORE/Siberia WR-setup; plans for CTA slideshow, Martin Brückner (Nov.2011)
A White Rabbit setup for sub-nsec synchronization,
timestamping and time calibration in large scale
- We conclude, that this White Rabbit system is ready to be applied under field conditions in large-scale astroparticle physics experiments - for time synchronization with nanosecond precision between individual detectors, distributed over km-scale.
Results from the WhiteRabbit sub-nsec time synchronization
- _We mention that the White architecture guarantees that
the clocks in each WR-node is synchronized with full
at any time. This is an essential difference compared to most proprietary time-synchronization solutions in experiments,
based on corrections applied offline (or with significant delay)._
- _We mention that the White architecture guarantees that the clocks in each WR-node is synchronized with full precision
Status of the HiSCORE
- ...we trigger and read out ... with waveform sampling at 1 GHz, and time-synchronization at sub-ns level with a White-Rabbit (WR) based system (time stamping and triggering). Waveform sampling and time-stamping proved to be very stable. The ns-trigger timestamps, obtained from the timing system allow clear Cerenkov air-shower detection.
- A Time Stamping TDC for SPEC and ZEN Platforms Based on White Rabbit, M.Brückner et al., PSI & DESY, ICALEPCS 2017
- HiSCORE-EA Gamma-Ray and Cosmic-Ray experiment at the Tunka-133 Cherenkov EAS-Array (2012/13). (R. Wischnewski, Feb 2012)
Deutsche Börse, Germany
Ultra-accurate time distribution for Deutsche Börse’s trading
- When every nanosecond counts (Jan.2018)
- High Precision Time - White Rabbit - Pilot (July 2018)
- White Rabbit in Financial Markets, presented at 10th WR Workshop (Oct.2018)
- White Rabbit and Beyond, presented at STAC summit - High Technology in Finance (Nov.2018)
- Ultra-accurate time distribution for Deutsche Börse’s trading network (October 2017)
DLR (German Aerospace Center, Institute
for Technical Physics), Germany
- Laser ranging to space-debris objects (January 2015)
- High Performance Time-based Synchronization, section 4.1 of EISCAT 3D Preparatory Phase Project - Deliverable 8.5: Report on all WP8 activities, Sept.2014
- EISCAT 3D Preparatory Phase Project, Deliverable 8.1: Report on the evaluation of possible synchronization/calibration solutions, Oct.2012
- laser research facility. Testing ease of use and accuracy.
(Kiss, Feb 2015)
- have 3 switches, a GPS reference and FMC cards.
- Plan to use White Rabbit in order to serve a common timestamps for the whole facility - except for the lasers, which need a femtosecond level synchronization.
- Synchronization issues at ELI-ALPS, I.Kiss, 25 February, 2015, SZEGED
- Acquire triggers from the lasers and redistribute them over
white rabbit towards the experimental areas (Nelissen, Gyulai,
- have switches and ZEN boards
- laser research facility. Testing ease of use and accuracy. (Kiss, Feb 2015)
ELI-BEAMS, Czech Republic
- evaluate WR as a potential facility level electronic timing system.
- have 2 switches, 2 SPEC cards with DIO and Fine Delay FMCs to do jitter measurements (Bastl, Apr.2015)
- interested in Micro TCA platform for control system
- ELI: Electronic Timing System (ETS) at Facility Level
EPFL-STI-IEL-DESL-ELL, Distributed Electrical Systems
- EPFL Smart Grid - The Vision
- White Rabbit based Time Synchronization for PMUs (Nov 2016)
- A white rabbit synchronized PMU, Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT-Europe), 2017 IEEE PES
- Articles showing the importance of timing in electric grids
- DFT-based Synchrophasor Estimation Algorithms and their Integration in Advanced Phasor Measurement Units for the Real-time Monitoring of Active Distribution Networks, Paolo Romano (notably Chapter 2)
- Time Synchronization in the Electric Power System, NASPI Technical Report, NASPI Time Synchronization Task Force
EPFL ESPLAB, Switzerland
- White Rabbit Wireless Extension research project: establish
synchronization using radio devices that support SyncE and
1000Base-X connections. (M. Rico, June 2015)
- Designing special backplane for use with WR switch SCB boards to test baseband communication (July 2015)
- Ns-level time transfer over a microwave link using the PTP-WR protocol
- White Rabbit Wireless Extension research project: establish synchronization using radio devices that support SyncE and 1000Base-X connections. (M. Rico, June 2015)
- EPFL-STI-IEL-DESL-ELL, Distributed Electrical Systems Laboratory
- Prototyping for distribution of RF signals (N.Janvier, Nov.2015)
- Refurbishment of the ESRF accelerator synchronisation system using White Rabbit, G.Goujon et al, October 2017
ESS Bilbao, Spain
- After an extensive study, White Rabbit has been chosen as the most promising option for the synchronization network at ESS Bilbao, a light ion linear accelerator. Therefore, first SPEC to SPEC tests have been performed. Now, with a White Rabbit switch a new set up will be tested to provide synchronization signals for ESS Bilbao's hydrogen positive ion source (ISHP) in the near future. For 2013 ESS Bilbao is planning to test PXI SPECs (SPEXI) which is the most suitable platform for the integration of White Rabbit into ESS Bilbao's general control system. (Oct.2012)
- New proposal for timing and event system. New Altera FPGA board for LLRF and resonance controller application. (J.Einstein, S.Khole, 1/2016)
- SBND Neutrino detector, time-stamping and distributing triggers (E.Church/ppnl, 2/2016)
- WR network for distributing a common pps GPS-locked to the beam target and the detector halls;
- use of 2 FMC-TDCs, at the BNB and NuMI beam target halls, for time-stamping both the “early warning" and effective beam extraction signals, and distribute these time stamps to the detector halls through WR network;
- use of 2 FMC-FineDelay, at the detector halls, to generate beam gate windows for triggering on the basis on the beam extraction time stamps, and possibly to generate the clocks for the readout electronics from the pps.
- This WR network will be the first WR implementation on North America. (D.Torretta, 3/2017)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH, Germany
- General Machine Timing System at GSI and FAIR
- The primary tasks of the timing system are the following:
- Time-Synchronization of ~2000 - 3000 nodes with sub-ns accuracy over fiber lengths of up to 2 km.
- Distribution of TAI counters with ns accuracy.
- Generation of timing events for synchronization of equipment.
- Provide infrastructure for common services of the accelerator (Post Mortem, Interlock,...) and FAIR experiments (time stamps, ...).
- White Rabbit Technology as Basis for the FAIR Timing System, D. Beck et al, 2011
- A reliable White Rabbit Network for the FAIR General Timing Machine, C.Prados et al., GSI & Hochschule Darmstadt, ICALEPCS 2017
- Timing System Documents (papers, technical documents)
HERA - Hydrogen Epoch of Reionization Array
- Radio telescope dedicated to observing large scale structure during and prior to the epoch of reionization.(2/2020)
IMPCAS - The Institute of Modern Physics (IMP) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- White Rabbit has been chosen as the facility-wide timing system
include control, pulse power and beam-diagnostic systems of the
following systems that will be built in the years following 2018
- HIAR (Heavy Ion Research Facility)
- CiADS (accelerator-driven subcritical system)
- White Rabbit has been chosen as the facility-wide timing system include control, pulse power and beam-diagnostic systems of the following systems that will be built in the years following 2018 (GG, Apr.2018)
INFN di Tor Vergata, Italy
- Describes a White Rabbit Facility for time synchronization being prepared for the future Cherenkov Telescope Array observatory (CTA) and shows quality of synchronisation.
- White Rabbit Facility (2017)
Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica
- Long haul White Rabbit with external laser, modulator and photodetector, for a time-transfer experiment.
- Collaboration with MIKES-VTT, Finland
- White Rabbit Time Transfer on Medium and Long Fibre Hauls at INRIM, Proceedings of the 46th Annual Precise Time and Time Interval Systems and Applications Meeting, 2014
- Main clock distribution at BM@N experiment and MPD
- WR-enabled devices took part in real data taking run in 2015.
- White Rabbit enabled boards
NICA - Nuclotron-based Ion Collider
- Deliver control information to different parts of accelerator over the Ethernet synchronously with a subnanosecond accuracy.
- Evaluating WR cores: Y.Kozhevnikov and PhD student A.Mukhamatnabeev.
- Using SPEXI PXIe and FMC DIO boards (D.M. 5/6/2018, 11/18)
- Baikal Deep Underwater Neutrino Telescope - BDUNT (see separate entry on this page)
- Main clock distribution at BM@N experiment and MPD
- European deep-sea research infrastructure, hosting a neutrino telescope
- Central Logic Boards (CLB) that go in the sea will host optical modules with WR; it implements 31 TDC channels to read out 31 PMTs. Inside the Shore-Station will be a modified WR switch where the data in one direction is always broadcast.
- KM3Net: a telescope at the bottom of the sea (nice overview and images, use down arrow to go to next page)
- On 3 December 2015 a first line with 18 Digital Optical Modules, each one containing a White Rabbit PTP Core - WRPC, was deployed successfully and communicated over 100 Km of fiber with the shore station. This installation is 100 km into the sea off the coast of Italy at 3500 meter depth and must be the weirdest and harshest place to install WR nodes.
- KM3NeT CLBv2 presentation. (Dec.2013)
- [Athens and 7S: status update (on-shore items) / KM3Net
- 7Solutions](http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?contribId=6&resId=1&materialId=slides&confId=283476) (Dec.2013)
- White RabbitandKM3NeT presented at the Seventh White Rabbit Workshop, Madrid (Spain), 27-28 November 2012
Reliability studies for the White Rabbit Switch in KM3NeT: FIDES and Highly Accelerated Life Tests, D.Real et al, Published 27 February 2020
- tests of SCB switch board and FIDES analysis showing MTBF improvements by changing certain components.
- Transfer of UTC[KRIS] from KRISS to Korea Electric Power company using White Rabbit. (January 2019)
LHAASO (Tsinghua University, China)
- Timing system of LHAASO (Large High Altitude Air Shower Observation) project Deploying 10,000 detectors over 1 square km at Tibet.
- The LHAASO WR timing distribution plan consists of 4 layers of
WR switches (583 in total) covering 7344 nodes of KM2A and WCDA
detectors. It will provide both a timing link and synchronous
data acquisition network to every detector front-end for a
trigger-less scheme. Four subsystems should be separated via
VLAN, and the redundancy configurations similar to
CERN should be applied.
A small prototype array for the LHAASO experiment has run over a year. It contains four WR switches and 45 cute-wr nodes. (Sept.2014)
- Start building a small WR network in Tibet. (Aug.2014)
- Design of Compact Universal Timing Endpoint Based on White Rabbit Open Hardware FMC card.
- WR@THU homepage (Chinese only)
- Presentations and articles
Temperature Effect and Correction Method of White Rabbit
Hongming Li, Guanghua Gong, Weibin Pan, Qiang Du, Jianmin Li, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, arXiv:1406.4223, 2014
- A Packet-based Precise Timing and Synchronous DAQ Network for LHAASO Project at 13th Vienna Conference on Instrumentation - VCI2013, Slides
- Distributed Timing System & Applications - White Rabbit in Tsinghua (Dec.2012)
A Prototype Clock System for LHAASO
Linfeng Shang, Kezhu Song, Pin Cao, Cheng Li, Shubin Liu, Qi An, 18th IEEE-NPSS Real Time Conference (RT), 2012 18th IEEE-NPSS
- Sub-nanosecond Timing System Design and Development for LHAASO Project Slides, Article: ICALEPCS 2011 conference
- A Future Project at Tibet: The Large High Altitude Air Shower Observatory -LHAASO (general article about LHAASO)
- Temperature Effect and Correction Method of White Rabbit Timing Link
LNE-SYRTE: the French National Metrology Institutes (2015-), France
- White Rabbit at SYRTE OHR wiki page
- Goal 1: high performance for next generation of optical time scale comparison, test of fundamental physics
- Goal 2: time dissemination to civil society. Plans to deploy at a national scale
- White Rabbit to disseminate time on an active telecom network? (March 2016)
- Time and frequency transfer over a 500 km cascaded White Rabbit network
- Long range time transfer using optical fiber links and cross comparison with satellite based methods, Namneet Kaur., Doctoral Thesis at the PSL Research University and LNE-SYRTE: the French National Metrology Institutes (2015-), France (Oct.2018)
MIKES (Centre for metrology and accreditation, Finland) (April 2013)
- White Rabbit at MIKES OHR wiki page
- Evaluating WR for comparison and synchronization of geographically distant atomic clocks
- 1000 km (thousand kilometer) link up and running! (12/8/2013)
SIB02 JRP-Publishable Summary
describes some results. Participation in
- ... the possibility to construct a time link between radio-observatories at Metsähovi and Onsala was investigated. In Finland the only viable way of accomplishing this goal is by using the Precision Timing Protocol White Rabbit, PTP-WR, to link MIKES and Metsähovi.
- These first steps towards the implementation of the White Rabbit protocol demonstrate the capability to extend the range of WR towards 1 000 km distance.
- White Rabbit Precision Time Protocol on Long-Distance Fiber Links
- MIKES connected Geodetic Research Station to the official time of Finland, UTC[MIKE] (Aug.2017)
Paris Observatory (Observatoire de Paris / CNRS-INSU, CNRS-IN2P3), France (July 2015)
NEBuLA - Wideband digitiser for
astronomy (NumEriseur à
Bande Large pour l’Astronomie)
- Digitize the RF frequency band of an antenna directly in its pedestal
- Export data over fiber to a common computing facility
- Provide time and frequency references to allow for multi-antennae processing, further in the chain.
- NEBuLA - Wideband digitiser for astronomy (NumEriseur à Bande Large pour l’Astronomie)
- The dish receivers have to maintain coherence - which means phase stability to an equivalent rms of 1 ps over time scales of 10-15 mins. This can be done by using go and return signals on optical fibre. In addition time at the dishes and stations need to be known to a few ns. The latter could be done by a network of GPS receivers, NPT or White Rabbit. White Rabbit looks good in terms of cost/performance.
Universiteit van Amsterdam, API, Grappa, The Netherlands
- Design and evaluation of a central clock distribution system for the Cherenkov Telescope Array (CTA) for event time stamping of ~100 telescopes
- Use of two custom WhiteRabbit switches as the data acquisition board of the CHEC-M and CHEC-S prototype cameras (CTA-UK)
- Cooperation with DESY Zeuthen, VU University Amsterdam and KM3Net@Nikhef
- High-precision fibre-optical timing distribution systems over large distances and their application to astroparticle physics facilities (presentation)
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, dept of Physics and Astronomics, The Netherlands
- SuperGPS through optical networks
- Workshop on Optical Networks for Accurate Time and Frequency Transfer
- Dutch Metrology Institute (VSL Delft)
- Slides of plans. 5 km link working (14/8/2013)
- 120 km link from Delft to Amsterdam working. Two WR links, both using dark channels at 1470nm and 1490nm in a CWDM network using high-power SFPs and light amplifiers. (15/8/2014)
- Always on time with the White Rabbit protocol, VSL Press Release (28/8/14)
- Dutch Metrology Institute (VSL Delft)
Deutsche Telekom, Germany
- Evaluating IEEE1588 High-accuracy (aka. White Rabbit) as one of the methods for Time Transfer for Supervision & measurement at the core network level (April 2017)
- Lab test results presented at ISPCS2019 (slide 16) (Sept. 2019)
Allied Partners, USA
- Evaluating deterministic ethernet solutions for critical infrastructure networks and applications (July 2012)
Ain Shams University, Egypt (Oct.2015)
- White Rabbit for Internet of Things.
- Cosylab WR timing system test, Slovenia
- Upgrade program of its storage ring. First analysis of several existing systems is done and arrived to the conclusion that, at the lights of the architecture and features of the product, it is worth to consider White Rabbit as the most attractive candidate. (Chaize, Feb 2014)
- Tests done with WR evaluation kit. Need for RF transmission over WR (Goujon, Jan 2015)
Hartnell College -
- Provide time stamp information for triggers from cosmic ray coincidence events using White Rabbit. (Aug 2014)
ESS Lund, Sweden
- LTH (Lunds Tekniska Högskola) in Sweden, master thesis work on Time synchronization by software. Work requested by ESS is: how to synchronize a laptop with a White Rabbit network by software (Linux and Windows), (F.Winquist, O.Abdilameer, May 2015).
Institute for plasma research, Gujarat,
- Use White Rabbit for Timing synchronization and trigger distribution. using PCs, VME and PXI. (June 2015)
- Overview of Data Acquisition and Central Control System of Steady state Superconducting Tokamak -SST-1 (PPT, 2015)
- IHEP, Beijing China
- HEPS (High Energy Photon Source ) project, replacing the traditional event driven MRF system. (Oct.2018)
- ITER timing system (F. Di Maio, Feb 2012), France
Michigan State University, USA
- FRIB accelerator project: synchronization and trigger distribution system for the data acquisition system (July 2014)
- Update on the NPLTime (r) Service and Future Developments with White Rabbit - PTTI Meeting, Feb 2017
National Synchrotron Radiation
Laboratory, University of Science and
Technology of China, China (Oct 2012)
- Upgrade of the timing and control systems of accelerators. Will build demo to assess the feasibility.
SPring-8 (Japan) (Nov 2014)
- An evaluation system for a new trigger and tag information distribution system using White Rabbit.
University of Cape Town (UCT) in
collaboration with University College London
(UCL) (South Africa, United Kingdom)
- NeXtRAD, a dual polarised X- and L-Band multistatic Radar, primarily for maritime usage (analysing sea clutter, finding small targets in different sea conditions etc.). (S.Lewis, Jan 2016)
- Article: NeXtRAD and RHINO radar: Harnessing the herd for networked radar, using the OHR RHINO board.
Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (India)
- Correlate the events between different DAQ systems using a SVEC module with White Rabbit support (July 2018)
- To improve system described at Heterogeneous data acquisition system & time correlation
- Passive radar installation (2017)
- Replacing several GPS receivers on a site by a single one (2013)
Publicly funded projects where White Rabbit plays a role
ARTEMIS JU EMC2
- UGR and Seven Solutions are finishing the implementation of the HSR protocol for WR devices, in particular the WR-Switch to increase availability and avoid single point of failure for time and data distribution. This work has been done in the framework of the European ARTEMIS JU EMC2 project and involves the development of the Peer-2-Peer mechanism for clock propagation, PeerDelay for the delay measurement, the utilization of HSR tags in frames, and the Switch-over mechanism developed by CERN to recover from a node failure. Current progress and more information can be found at the OHWR WR-HSR webpage.
ASTERICS - The Astronomy ESFRI and Research Infrastructure Cluster. EU H2020 project.
- Cleopatra - Connecting Locations of ESFRI Observatories and Partners in Astronomy for Timing and Real-time Alerts
- Connecting multi-messenger astrophysics R&D in ASTERICS and nanosecond timing in normal life - Presented at The connecting strength of Big Science Projects conference, June 2016
- Electrical-Optical / Optical-Electrical - EO/OE - Calibration
- ASTERICS project:
TIMEFUNC - Time Synchronisation Impact Enabling Future Network Communication
DEMETRA - Demonstrator of EGNSS Services based on Time Reference
- Time & Frequency Distribution over Optical link - An accuracy beyond the GPS level can be achieved through open source techniques (White Rabbit)
- DEMonstrator of EGNSS services based on Time Reference Architecture
- EU SME INSTRUMENT grant (number
in the framework of the H2020-EU.2.1.6. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP
- Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies – Space.
EMPIR - European Metrology Programme for
Innovation and Research
WRITE: White Rabbit Industrial
Timing Enhancement (SRT-i26: Selected Research Topic, was
- WP1: Scalable calibration techniques for PTP WR fibre links
- WP2: Resilient and redundant time transfer
- WP3: Improving the performance of White Rabbit
- WP4: WR UTC time and frequency distribution for industrial users
- WRITE: White Rabbit Industrial Timing Enhancement (SRT-i26: Selected Research Topic, was JRP-i26)
- JRP S15 Optical frequency transfer - a European network
** Selected Research Topic S15.
** Looking for partners (deadline 5 October 2015)
EMRP - European Association of National
- The EMRP is jointly funded by the EMRP participating countries within EURAMET and the European Union (912/2009/EC).
(Nov. 2012 - May 2015)
- Project summaries
- _The aim of the project NEAT-FT is to investigate new
techniques for phase-coherent comparison of remotely located
optical clocks, separated by distances of up to 1500 km
using optical fibre links. Within the scope of the JRP the
equipment necessary for reliable operation of fibre links
will be developed and all technological steps towards a full
optical link infrastructure demonstrated.
Beside frequency dissemination, new techniques for time transfer over optical fibre networks will be investigated in order to provide better timing signals than currently available with GPS receivers. For typical spans of up to 100 km the JRP aims to improve the accuracy down to about 100 ps. Furthermore, the feasibility of a European fibre network connecting optical clocks in Europe will be studied in close collaboration with potential fibre providers._
- Extract of SIB-02 NEAT-FT final Newsletter:
Following a recommendation of the international advisory board to investigate the possibility of a time link between radio-observatories at Metsähovi (Finland) and Onsala (Sweden) a study on feasibility of a standard uni-directional network for long-haul timing dissemination using PTP-WR (Precision time Protocol- White Rabbit) was initiated. We have focused on long distance testing of White Rabbit equipment. A test link of about 1000 km distance between MIKES sites at Espoo and Kajaani has been set-up. This was achieved in close collaboration with the Centre for Scientific Computing Ltd. (CSC), the Finnish University Network and CERN, with support by VSL and SP. In a 120 day comparison between GPS-PPP time transfer and the 1000-km long link White Rabbit time link in a live DWDM network, the performance and reliability of the fibre link were found to be excellent where the results were limited by the statistics of the GPS–PPP link.
- Some participants using WR: MIKES, VSL, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
EUREKA Project 7634
- Status: Finished - 14-January-2015
- Project Outline
- Projekt dedykowanej płytki systemu RunRabbit (Polish only)
- Projekt stosu IEEE1588/White Rabbit (Polish only)
- The RunRabbit project does not seem to be Open: source files are not published.
- White Rabbit - Open Science Monitor Case Study, European Commission, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, 2018
- NAVISP (ESA)
- Collaborative research project has been approved by the Grand Investments Commission within the scope of the Investissements d’Avenir program and signed by the French Prime Minister on June 2nd 2014. This project is partially financed by BPIFrance (big collaborative projects) and has been certified by Minalogic.
- SCPTime sets up an infrastructure and a service to broadcast the legal time of a country with a Secured Certified Precise and Traceable time signal.
- Secured Time Synchronization - White Paper (05/2017)
- Total Integrated GRid Intelligent System
- Integrated and secure “Smart Grid” solution for the electrical network. Finished (2013-2015)
- Uses the FMC ADC board to access analog signals. Connected to a Rogowski coil that performs the detection and time tagging of events in the electrical grid.
- Total Integrated GRid Intelligent System
(Ultra accurate world timing services)
- EU SME INSTRUMENT grant (number 673403), awarded to Seven Solutions in the framework of the Space calls.
- Supported by the US Department of Energy
- XIA Products Utilize Precision Timing Protocol and Network Synchronization, (12/2018)
- Network Time Synchronization of the Readout Electronics for a New Radioactive Gas Detection System (Poster at RT2018 conference)
Projects requesting public funds
Horizon 2020 fetopen
- Improving the short term stability of the output clock (Seven Solutions, UGR, June 2014)
EMPIR Call 2014 – Industry and Research
- SRT-i32 - Next generation time and frequency dissemination
- available via Stage 2 of Call 2014
- The EMPIR proposal is work-in-progress currently and it will be submitted early October 2014. (Sept.2014)
- About 20 participants, half National Metrological Institues and half Industries/Academics.
- White Rabbit will definitively be one of the main techniques involved in the project.
- SRT-i32 - Next generation time and frequency dissemination through optical fibres
- SuperB, Italy
LNLS (Brazilian Synchrotron Light
- using WR for the fast orbit feedback and for the timing system of Sirius.
- Accurate timng for the Roman Pot detector (June 2013, W.Snoeys)
We’re working on an End Node and have successfully completed the calibration procedure between one End Node designated the “Calibrator” and another End Node designated the “Slave”. <...> These are working very well with extremely small <50ps skew between the “Calibrator” & “Slave” after calibration with both short (2m) and very long (10km) fibres. We’re very impressed!, UK, 21/4/21
I wanted to thank you for all of the tremendous information you provided the <...> folks! That was amazing and I’m sure you helped shave perhaps a year in the time they will need to start getting good data. THANK YOU., USA, 22/3/21
This project is really amazing by the amount of work and the quality. And thank for every people helping me to understand the WR structure., France, 15/6/20
Many thanks for your time yesterday and educating us on White Rabbit. I will try to find the right guys at [our company] – I'm sure that this function would be very valuable on our measurement instruments!, Germany, 6/12/19
Remember when our  friends contacted you back in July and we said that we were attempting to port WR node functionality to our system?. And you very kindly offered to let us come to CERN for help if we needed it... Anyway, now we're very happy to say "It's Working!" We're very impressed with WR :-). It certainly solves some hard problems for us. And maybe takes us to places we could never go before., Scotland, 23/9/19
White Rabbit has achieved a relevant impact in society if we consider
that more than 30 research infrastructures and scientific projects that
have already implemented White Rabbit receive substantial public funding
from national funding, or a combination of national and EU funding. The
extra effort that CERN had to exert in order to orchestrate the
collaborative development of WR is likely inferior to the savings that
all those research infrastructures have realized when considering the
alternative scenario of each one investing in their own solution.
WR is one of those examples were both organizations (GSI and CERN) managed to optimize their resources and they successfully come up with a technology which has been extensively re-used in diverse industry fields showing, without a doubt, its innovational impact. White Rabbit - Open Science Monitor Case Study, European Commission, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, 10/2018
Time distribution across physically separate data centre modules – all of which are a considerable distance apart from one another – is a hard problem. The new technology allows us to discipline the clocks of our time-stamping devices with sub-nanoseconds accuracy. We now have visibility in our network never seen before. (A. Lohr, Derivatives and Cash Trading IT of Deutsche Börse, Germany, 10/2017)
I would like to appreciate detailed information you provided with. I have been surprised that all the resources on WR are freely accessible and this mailing group is very responsive. Thanks again for your hospitality to a newcomer. (centre for metrology, MS, KR, 6/6/2018)
Special thanks ... for having made possible the use of White Rabbit for the synchronisation of Synchrotron Sources. (GG, France, 25/10/17)
The stability performance of a WR-PTP link can be up to 100 times better than that of a high performance GNSS receiver. Secured Time Synchronization - White Paper, GT (05/2017)
Options for accuracy: Manual Port Configuration, Asymmetry calibration, Physical layer syntonization. These are three key additions for the White Rabbit extensions to PTP. Using these feature the clever scientists at CERN were able to achieve sub-ns time transfer, using standard Ethernet PHYs. (DA, USA, 24/9/17)
... our university spin-off company OPNT recently realized a
successful White Rabbit implementation in the network of Vodafone
Netherlands. (...) After calibration the residual timing offset across
the 320-km-long link was found to be less than one nanosecond. See also
the press release.
Needless to say that this result builds strongly on the outstanding work delivered by the White Rabbit community over the past years, and we are thankful to all of you who contributed. We are absolutely convinced that with White Rabbit you have created a game changer that will enable marvelous new technologies in the future! (JK, The Netherlands, 9/6/17)
The more I read about white-rabbit, the more impressed I am!
You and your colleagues should rightly be very proud of your achievements and I appreciate that the algorithm and hardware has been made available as open-source materials.
I have learnt much from studying the high quality documentation in the OHWR repositories. (S, United Kingdom, 5/5/2017)
First of all thank you once more for the help and support your team is providing to our colleagues at Fermilab for setting up the WR network for distributing beam signals! (AF, USA, 30/3/2017)
Seismic sensors connected to spectrum analyzer in UJ16 were perfectly synchronized with the same equipments at the surface thanks to BE-CO team. (MG, Switzerland, 12/11/2015)
Thanks for the call and the extra information. This (level of commitment) shows the difference between a normal open source project and a successful one. (EH, The Netherlands, 13/10/2015)
I'm looking into the hdl (of White Rabbit) and it's really impressive the work that you have done! A milestone achievement of Open Source (software and hardware)! M.R. Italy, 28/7/2015
The successful integration of WR PTP Core on our hardware allowed us to choose White Rabbit as a main time distribution system. (JINR, Russia, 7/10/14)
Technology from advanced-physics research institute CERN will form part of National Instruments’ long-term strategy to improve the ability of distributed systems to support real-time control. ... White Rabbit offers a tremendous opportunity to get into the nanosecond range and we are working intensely to bring this capability to distributed systems. (blog(Particle-collider technology to help NI build time-aware systems) Jim Truchard, president NI , 9/8/14)
My knowledge about all of WR Technology and its subprojects is expanding now. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to work in such project. :), and also to have kind friends here for continiously sharing their knowledge. (Arkus/Japan, 30/5/14)
We note the excellent system reliability: not a single component of four complete stations showed a failure over 6 months of Siberian winter performance (at operation/storage temperatures of 0...+30C / -45...+10C, respectively). (ICRC2013 paper 1158)
We acknowledge very helpful discussions, technical advices and support from the White Rabbit community (in particular the CERN based team and A. Rubini) during all phases of this project. The technical support from both SevenSolutions and Creotech [companies- ED] was very helpful. (ICRC2013 paper 1146)
It is great work that you all are doing with WhiteRabbit, very valuable also outside CERN. (centre for metrology, 25/7/13)
The big, active and very communicative WRcommunity has made the White Rabbit system a well debugged and calibrated system. In particular, for high demands on longterm precision and stability, the extensive usage and debugging of the WR-key components make it very reliable. (ICRC2013 paper 1146)
Experience is excellent (!!). (DESY, 28/10/13)
22 April 2021