Face Shield - 3D-Printing and Injection Moulding
The Face Shield can be worn directly or can be put on safety helmets. This visor complements (and cannot replace) the adequate respiratory tract protections (e.g. protective masks).
This face shield is an open-source solution available in two versions:
- one is a simplified version that can be 3D printed by anyone around the world using standard 3D printing filaments.
- one is suitable for large series production via plastic injection moulding or via advanced 3D printing
This face shield is made only for COVID-19 protection. It is not a general-purpose device and should not be used for purposes other than protection against COVID-19. It protects the wearer against large droplets emitted immediately after a cough by a person nearby and facing the screen but does not protect against suspended particles.
Face shield - Exploded view - The FaceShield is developed under the CERN against COVID-19 program.
- Can be worn directly or can be put on safety helmets
- Designed for COVID-19 protection
- Protects the wearer against large droplets emitted immediately after a cough by a person nearby and facing the screen
- Complements the adequate respiratory tract protections
- Allows the wearer to use glasses
- Licenced under CERN-OHL-P v2
- Disclaimer (pdf)
CERN Face Shield COVID-19, containing:
- User instructions (pdf)
- Safety and performance report (pdf)
- Disclaimer (pdf)
- Production files
- Not available commercially
General questions about project
- Alessandro Dallocchio - CERN
- Diego Perini - CERN
- Fernando Baltasar Dos Santos Pedrosa - CERN
|23-03-2020||Start working on the project|
|15-05-2020||Several hundreds simplified Face Shields produced via 3D Printing for CERN internal use as well as distributed to local authorities|
|20-05-2020||Face shield presented at CERN against COVID-19 Seminar|
|08-06-2020||First release in the Open Hardware Repository|
|10-06-2020||First batch of injection moulded Face Shields ready for use|
12 June 2020