3DMASK - 3D printed mask
The 3DMask solution offers a better face contact than a standard tissue mask, and consequently a better protection if the correct filter is applied. The wearer of this mask has a less claustrophobic feeling thanks to the space between the mouth, nose and the filter.
This mask is an open-source solution which can be 3D printed by anyone around the world using standard 3D printing filaments. The 3D printed pieces are washable and can be used many times, being the limits 1)the properties of the filaments used (please consult the Safety Datasheet of the filaments that you use) and 2)the cleaning process used.
To allow the biggest flexibility possible to all makers around the world different filter supports have been developed and are made available as part of this open source solution.
The 3DMASK is developed under the CERN against COVID-19 program.
3DMASK - Exploded view
CERN designed the face mask purely as protection for use in the context of COVID-19. The licensee explicitly acknowledges that the face mask has not been tested for the full set of requirements under EN 149:2009.
CERN provides this documentation without any kind of certification, conformity assessment or statement. It is the responsibility of any licensee wishing to produce or distribute a face mask on the basis of this design to ensure compliance with standards and regulatory requirements, including certification. Disclaimer
- Excellent face contact and sealing
- Easy to wear even with glasses (it doesn’t provoke condensation in the glasses)
- Two sizes available
- Can host a face shield to increase face protection when needed
- Is washable and can be re-used
- Reduce waste generation as the filter is the only disposable part
- Flexibility on the type of filters used as three filter supports are available
- Two different sizes available
- Can be 3D printed by anyone around the world. 3D mold files also available
- Can be personalized using different colors or by engraving logos
- Cheap manufacturing process (150g of TPU95A, 30g of ABS and printing time around 12 hours)
- Some performance parameters have been tested with a certified lab
- Licenced under CERN-OHL-P v2 - Disclaimer
- 3D design and 3D printing files
- 3D printing material selection
- 3D printing tips and tricks
- Mask shield files
- Cleaning process recommendation
- Quality check recommendations
- Not available commercially
General questions about project
|23-03-2020||Start working on the project|
|20-05-2020||3DMASK presented at CERN against COVID-19 Seminar|
|29-05-2020||First release in the Open Hardware Repository|
2 June 2020