White-Rabbit -> White Rabbit projects
- White Rabbit Standardization - it covers all efforts geared to standardize White Rabbit, with a view to providing a stable specification which everyone can use to build compliant products.
- PPSi - A Precise Time Protocol (PTP, IEEE 1588) software stack whose single source code can be compiled for many architectures (POSIX systems, SPEC...). It will be used both on switches and nodes.
- White Rabbit Network Robustness - a broad subject covering methods (HW & SW) which enable to increase overall reliability of a WR-based system.
About calibration of WR devices
- See also Calibration
White Rabbit basic systems
- White Rabbit Network Interface Card - a White Rabbit compliant Network Interface Card (NIC) based on the SPEC and the DIO FMC.
- White Rabbit Starting Kit - this project demonstrates the functionality of a basic timing system in order to get people started on White Rabbit (WR).
- Compact Universal Timing Endpoint based on White Rabbit - a compact WR node implementation with minimum components required.
- Distributed Direct Digital Synthesis over White Rabbit - D3S
- White Rabbit Switch Hardware - this project covers the hardware development of the White Rabbit switch.
- White Rabbit Switch HDL - this project contains all the HDL necessary for the FPGA of the WR switch.
- White Rabbit Switch Software - software for the WR switch, and in particular the embedded Linux system running in the ARM9 processor.
- White Rabbit Switch Testing - a project to host all software and hardware developments related to testing the WR switch.
- White Rabbit Node - describes how WR Nodes can be built and shows design examples.
- White Rabbit core collection - a collection of universal IP Cores used in different components of a White Rabbit system (it includes the WR PTP Core)
- EtherBone Core - Etherbone is an FPGA core that connects Ethernet to and internal on-chip wishbone bus permitting any core to talk to any other across Ethernet.
Research projects (with resources)
- Reducing jitter of 62.5MHz output clock of switches by varying PLL parameters and using other oscillators
- Mattia Rizzi, UNIBS, Italy and CERN (October 2015-)
White Rabbit eXtensions for Instrumentation - WRXi
- Define and implement a standardized communication protocol for
instrumentation over a White Rabbit network
- precise synchronization and timestamping
- remote control and test sequence programming
- message exchanging and event distribution
- data acquisition and aggregation
- Define and implement a standardized communication protocol for instrumentation over a White Rabbit network
Nanosecond Distribution over a Wireless Link
- EPFL, ESPLAB, Switzerland
- White Rabbit Wireless Extension research project: establish synchronization using radio devices that support SyncE and 1000Base-X connections. (M. Rico, June 2015-)
ASTERICS - Cleopatra - EU H202
- Work on a thorough calibration of White Rabbit equipment (e.g. one that includes temperature-dependent delays) as well as a way to change calibration values on the fly (RX,TX delay and fibre asymmetry). See the project WR calibration.
White Rabbit High availability Seamless Ring - HSR - instead of a tree, use a ring topology to connect switches or dual-port-nodes together.
- University of Granada, Spain
WRITE - White Rabbit Industrial Timing Enhancement - is an EURAMET funded EMPIR project with the overall objective to demonstrate all the metrological steps necessary for the industrial adoption of PTP-WR.
- Coordinated by INRIM, Italy
Pending Projects (needing help)
We often have more ideas than manpower. Whether you are a student looking for an interesting (and useful!) BSc/MSc/PhD project, or if you are an open-source-oriented company looking for a new contract (we may actually pay you), you can possibly find something interesting. The list includes pure ideas as well as proof-of-concept implementations that need to make it into the release of the White Rabbit switch, with a major clean-up or rewrite.
|Automated calibration||high||CERN/Maciej||LM32, C, embedded devices||WR switch||This project automates calibration of alpha parameter that is used to calculate fiber asymmetry (in WR Switch).||idle|
|Proper implementation of seamless time switchover||high||CERN/Maciej||LM32, embedded C, VHDL||WR switch||Rewrite of the proof-of-concept implementation of seamless redundancy for timing (in WR Switch),|
|see Redundant White Rabbit Network for Reliable Synchronization.||Idle|
|Pipelined MAC lookup||low||CERN/Maciej||expert VHDL||WR switch||The aim of this project is to optimize through pipelining the lookup of MAC addresses in HASH table (in WR Switch).||idle|
|Implementation of Seamless Redundancy||low||CERN/Maciej||VHDL||WR switch||Implementation of the IEEE 802.1CB in WR switch||Idle|
|Timing statistics logger||low||CERN/Maciej||Embedded C||WR switch||Logging of switch timing information (or maybe other) to persistent memory in the switch with a given interval||Idle|
31 March 2017